WEITAO MARKETING GUIDE
Launched in 2003, Weitao is a social selling platform associated with the Chinese online marketplace Taobao. This platform is content-oriented and is built with a social feed similar to Weibo.
There are three major types of users on the platform:
1. General Users – General users can find and read content, mainly related to product endorsements (called zhòng cǎo in Chinese), published by merchants or experts as well as following official accounts.
2. Merchants (companies and brands) – Merchants can publish content that lead users to dedicated product pages in order to drive social selling. In addition, they can also build their follower base on the platform and offer online customer service.
3. Experts (similar to KOLs) – Experts can publish content that help users make purchasing decisions.
Weitao has become an increasingly important marketing channel for brands, especially those with online stores on Taobao or Tmall, to boost their e-commerce sales.
MARKETING ON WEITAO
The primary marketing goal for brands on Weitao is to build their follower base. From there, the aim is to convert their followers into customers and actual sales. Content marketing is the core promotional strategy on Weitao. Alarice can help create promotional content for Weitao that resonates with your target audience. The content created will have a unified style and tone of voice based on your brand personality. Also, we’ll help you to design the appropriate calls-to-action for the promotional materials in order to maximize conversions.
Segmenting users by loyalty is a practical way to manage customer and follower relationships on Weitao. One way to achieve this is to divide users into different categories, such as non-followers, new followers and loyal followers, and target differentiated promotional activities at each and giving different privileges to each group.
Launching campaigns is also an important part of Weitao marketing. Apart from participating in the official sales events organized by the platform, brands are advised to organize regular campaigns to attract new followers and retain existing followers. It’s reported that Weitao is adding new functions which allow brands to organize various online campaigns for their followers, for instance, brands can quickly set-up an appointment function which allows users to pre-order new products. Moreover, brands are also suggested to assign a theme for each round of new product launch and to engage experts (KOLs) for promotion.
Last but not least, Weitao also offers advertising options similar to those on Weibo, such as boosted posts. For brands which have just started Weitao marketing, we can help you to tailor-make an advertising plan which optimizes exposure of your brand and content in accordance with your promotional budget.
The Marriott does systematic and complete brand marketing on Weibo, leveraging all kinds of functions within this platform in various campaigns. The brand generates exclusive content for its Weitao community as well as conduct giveaway campaigns and UGC (User Generated Content) campaigns regularly to communicate with users and encourage sharing.
The Marriott also conducts regular live streaming. Hotel staff and managers based in various cities always host the live-streamings in a relaxed and funny style. They guide the viewers on virtual tours to experience hotel facilities; also, they will answer questions and give away vouchers or special gifts to better engage with audiences and encourage impulsive consumption.
Weitao offers numerous opportunities for brands to step up their e-commerce operation in China. Contact us for more information on how we can help you make the best out of Weitao.
As a content driven platform within Alibaba’s ecosystem, Weitao is a must for brands that want to organize campaigns and participate in big e-commerce sales events. By working with us, you can be sure that:
- We’ll develop the most suitable strategy for Weitao, focusing on your products and serving your target audience. For the past 9 years, our team of experienced marketers have worked with small and large firms in a variety of industries on the platform and we know how to most effectively allocate your budget to get results.
- Alarice can help your company to connect different channels to make sure that marketing on Weitao is a highly effective part of your sales funnel.
- Alarice will communicate directly with Weitao’s administrators to provide fast and smooth coordination.
- Alarice will assign a personal account manager who will explain the platform’s rules and regulations and acquaint you with the platform’s procedures. Your personal account manager will help you with any questions.
Contact us to learn more about our Weitao services and how to build your own unmatched ecosystem on China’s social media and e-commerce platforms.
What’s the difference between Weitao, Tmall and Taobao?
Tmall and Taobao are platforms to set-up a store. Weitao is like Weibo within your store, which aims to help you to do the marketing for your product and engage with consumers.
How can I get an account on Weitao?
There are three different types of accounts on Weitao : Weitao influencer, Taobao merchant and brand accounts. Depending on your goals you can select the most suitable option for you. As a company you can get access to your Weitao account through Taobao or Tmall.
How can I do marketing on Weitao?
There are different tactics but most are aimed to increase the effectiveness of the touch points with potential consumers. One of the most effective marketing tactics on Weitao is to do KOL promotions. In contrast to other platforms, Weitao KOLs are previously regular users who accumulated followers.